Tuesday 10 February 2009

Green garden dress

This is my yet-to-be-completed latest project. I'm doing the top right view illustrated in pink with a red cummerbund, but mine is a limey yellow green cotton with a batik flower in it. Trust me, it's much nicer than it sounds. 

I would have done the central one with the long tie that wraps across the front, but I didn't have enough fabric, and didn't fancy a contrasting tie, so cummerbund it is. On the positive side, it's an opportunity to try out boning, and if it fails I can just wear the dress without any waist detail. 

The other nice thing about this pattern is that the skirt is 4 squares gathered into the waist, so hemming it should be a piece of cake compared to the previous dresses I've made, which have had curved hems. No bias to drop, so no need to hang for 3 days and measure and mark the hem. 

... although I didn't do that before either, I just hoped for the best. 

Oh, and no underarm gusset! Result!  

The deadline for this is Friday as I'm flying away to South Africa on Saturday, which is when I'm going to wear it (for a garden wedding, hence the name). So since it's only 55% finished, technically I shouldn't be blogging about it at all, but sewing it. 

No comments: